Transgender is a catch-all term used to describe people who don’t feel that that their gender identity matches what they were assigned as birth. The term can refer to people who have transitioned (medically or not) such that they present as a different gender, and also to people whose gender expression may not fit neatly inside the terms “male” or “female”.
Members of TranQuility have recommended the following web pages as a good place to learn about the Gender Continuum, what it means to be transgender, issues trans people commonly face, and how to be a supportive ally!
- Transgender 101: A guide to gender and identity to help you keep up with the conversation
- interACT, an organization that advocates for people born with intersex traits, has a Frequently Asked Question page with additional resources.
- American Psychological Association has a page about Transgender People, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression
- National Center for Transgender Equality has a useful page about transgender people
- GLAAD has a Transgender FAQ
- Dara Hoffman-Fox is a gender therapist who has a website with many great resources, and an active YouTube channel.